#seedtosling

Sustainability, ethical manufacturing, and continued efforts to use the best materials possible is 100% our responsibility. Even though we can all make big impacts as consumers, sometimes it can still be difficult to truly know what we’re paying for.

Telling you what we do with words like “sustainability” and “ethical manufacturing” is one thing, showing you is another! #SeedToSling is a WildBird campaign, of stories and transparency, that gives you a direct look into the journey of how our products are created. All linen is not created equal, and we’re showing you what makes our fabrics so special even beyond its aesthetic and feel.


oneFlax to Fiber

Each spring Belgian farmers prepare to go into the fields to lay down the most suitable strain of flax seeds.

Fact: Belgian flax is 100% irrigated with rainwater.

Welcome to Belgium!

Centuries-old, artisan farming techniques passed down from generation to generation, combined with Belgium's perfect environment, are the key to growing the world's most high-end fax. It’s a famously enduring combination that is not found anywhere else on our planet.

Sowing & Growth

Sowing & Growth

Sowing & Growth

Blooming

Sowing & Growth

Pulling

Sowing & Growth

Retting

Sowing & Growth

Harvest


twoSelection

Our suppliers only use long-staple linen fibers because it produces the longest, strongest, and finest fibers.

Long-staple Fibers

Fewer ends exposed

Short-staple Fibers

Many ends exposed

A Longer Fiber is a Better Fiber

In the case of linen - a longer fiber is a better fiber. Longer linen fibers can be spun into stronger yarns, and produce extremely smooth and supple weaves. Shorter fibers can poke out of the weave, leading to a coarser, weaker fabric.


threeYarn

Inside Europe’s oldest linen factory (founded in 1778) our long fibers are then broken down and assembled together to create an ultra-strong yarn.

Sowing & Growth

Preparation

Sowing & Growth

Spinning Frame

Sowing & Growth

Winding

Inside Europe’s Oldest Linen Factory

These yarns are exclusively wet-spun, resulting in a finer and smoother texture. Because these fibers are long and thick, rather than short and fluffy like cotton, this results in a yarn that is extremely breathable, strong, and absorbent.

No waste!

  • Shorter fibers are typically shipped overseas for use as dry-spun, lower quality linen.
  • Recovered flax shives (the non-fiber part of the stem) are further processed into chipboards.
  • Even the dust, and small fibers, are collected and used, for other products like paper.

fourWeaving

Weaving is a technical process where experience is critical.

Sowing & Growth

Preparation

Sowing & Growth

Weaving

Sowing & Growth

Quality Control

Sowing & Growth

Finishing

The Weaving Process

Our 4th generation Belgian and Italian weaving mills have a vast knowledge and dedication, not only for quality textiles, but also for running factories that are dedicated to fair wages, positive work environment, and sustainable manufacturing practices.

Fact: All our fabric ships in biodegradable packaging!


fiveDyeing & Softening

This is where our fabric takes on its unique color and feel.

Dyeing can be a dirty business but the EU is known for having the most strict water cleaning regulations in the world. Our dye houses not only comply with these regulations but go even further, outperforming them. During our visits, we ask the hard questions, survey every area of the facility, and verify first-hand their compliance. Our dye facilities are able to recycle and reuse 60% of all water used! The other 40% is clean and drinkable water!


six#madebymoms

WildBird slings are made by an amazing network of independent seamstresses. We have over 40+ professional seamstresses, most of whom are Mothers, working lovingly at home.
Get to know them below!


Learn more about us

Our Story

WildBird slings began with a love for wearing babies, and we adored the deep connection made when keeping our little birds close.

#intheknow

It’s simple, the more you know the better. We’re committed to opening the doors to our companies sourcing, manufacturing process, costs, markups, etc.